Ⅰ. Warming up and revision
1. Have adictationof the new words and expressions this unit.
2. Retellthestories of April Fool’s Day .
1) By the endoflast year, I ___________ (be) to the West Hill Farm three times.
2) By the time Igotup, Mom _________ (go) out for some exercise.
3)I______________(learn) 1,000 English words by last term.
4) By 9 o’clocklastnight, we __________ (get) 200 pictures from the spaceship.
5) When I wentintothe classroom, the final bell ___________ (ring). I was happy that Iwasn’tlate.
Keys: hadbeenhadgonehad learnedhad gottenhad rung
1) He ___________(醒来) very early and went out for a walk inthepark.
2) I______________(让她搭便车), so she invitedme to have dinner.
3) I hope thatallof you will come to the meeting ____________ (准时).
4) Hiscar___________ (出故障), so he had to getit repaired.
5) This Mondaymyalarm clock didn’t __________ (发出响声) and I got uplate.
Keys: woke up gave her a lifton timebroke downgo off
Do you haveanyexperience on April Fool’s day? Now can youremember a lucky or an unlucky day?What happened? Make some notes about whatyou remember.
1. Work on 3a.Makenotes.
Can you rememberalucky or an unlucky day? What happened? Make some notes about whatyouremember.
What was thedate?
Was this luckyorunlucky? Why?
How did thedayend?
How did youfeelabout this day?
2. Share yourideaswith others in class.
1. Write astoryabout your lucky or unlucky day and tell your story to a partner or theclass.Use your notes to write a story about your lucky or unlucky day.
My lucky/unlucky day
I willalwaysremember the date…
This wastheluckiest /unluckiest day of my life…
When I woke upthatmorning…
Later that day…
What alucky/anunlucky day!
2. Ask Ss to writeapassage in class.
3. Tell yourstoryto your partner or the class.
My lucky day
I willalwaysremember the date –April Fool’s Day last year.
This wastheluckiest day of my life.
When I woke upthatmorning, I brushed my teeth, washed my face, then I read English for halfanhour. It was time to eat my breakfast. My little brother gave me a pieceofOreo. I was very glad to eat it first. Then I felt strange. It tastedspecial.What was it? I looked at my little brother. He laughed loudly and saidnothing.
Later that day,Iknew he put toothpaste (牙膏) into the Oreo. Icouldn’t believe I wasfooled by him. I brushed my teethagain. After that, my brother gave me a box ofOreo, and said “Happy April Fool’s Day.”
Finally I washappyto get these delicious biscuits.
I think I hadahappy and lucky day.
What a lucky day!
Work on SelfCheck1:
1. Let some Ssreadthe words in the box. Make sure all the Ss know the meaning of the words.
2. Let Ss readthesentences in Self check 1. Then Ss try to fill in the blanks with thecorrectforms of the words in the box.
cancelmiss west accident
Last Saturdayaftermy French course, I decided to drive to the ________ to buy a meat piefordinner. As I was heading ________, I saw a huge truck in the middle of theroad.
There had beena(n)_________ and there were many police _______ around. I turned around anddecidedto go to a nearby mall.
However, I________the road that led to the mall. Then I saw a restaurant that soldchickennoodles. I went inside and the _____, who was the owner, served me themostdelicious bowl of chicken noodles ever. I had made a(n) ____________discovery!I’mso glad that I _________ my plan to go to the market.
1. Letsome Ss read their answers. Check theanswers with the Ss.
Keys: market west accident officersmissedlady unexpected canceled
Work on Self check2
1. Tell Ss thattheyhave to fill in the blanks with Past Perfect Tense. More than one answersmay bepossible.
2. Ss think andtryto complete the sentences by themselves.
3. Let some Ssreadtheir answers to the class.
4. Sharetheiranswers together.
1) A: Why didn’tyouhand in your science homework?
B: Before Icould start working on it, mybaby brother started crying and I had to lookafter him as my mother was sick.
2) A: Why didn’tyoutake a shower this morning?
B: By the time Igotup, my sister had already gone into the bathroom and the bus was honkingfor meto hurry up.
3) A: Why didyou have to walk home from school?
B: By the timeIleft my school, the school bus had already left.
1. We ______fourthousand new words by the end of last year.
A. learned B.had learned
C. have learnedD.willlearn
2. He told usthathe ______ the letters in the morning.
A. willpost B.haveposted
C. wasposting D. had posted
3. —Did you seeMr Smith when you were in France?
—No. When I_______ France, he _______ to China.
A. had arrivedin;had gone
B. arrived in;hasbeen
C. got to;hadgone
D. had got to;hadbeen
Bill wonders whether they'llhave zongzi again next year.
—What do you like best about the DragonBoat Festival?
—I love the races，I think that they're funto watch.
I've put on five pounds!
I wonder if it's similarto the Water Festival of the Dai people in Yunnan Province.
People go on the streetsto throw water at each other.
You will have good luckin the new year.
2.that，if 和whether 引导的宾语从句
that,if 和whether 引导的宾语从句
Step 1 情景导入
Teacher：There are many traditional festivalsin China，likethe Chinese Spring Festival，the Dragon Boat Festival，the Lantern Festival andso on.Do you know when the festivals are and what people do on the festivals?Now please discuss with your partnersin groups.
Step 2 完成教材1a-1c的任务
A：What do you like best about the DragonBoat Festival?
B：I love the races, I think that they'refun to watch.
(A)1.—I'm not sure ________there are living things on other planets or not.
—Even scientists aren't sure aboutit.
A.whether B.where C.why D.that
(B)2.I can't decide ________to buy this bike or not.
A.when B.whether C.if D.where
(A)3.I've decided to goto London next weekend.Iwas wondering ________ you could go with me.
A.if B.when C.that D.where
(C)4.He knew ________ heshould work hard.
A.if B.when C.that D.where
Step 3 完成教材2a-2c的任务
2.认真听Wu Ming 和Harry的对话，根据对话内容圈出句子中的正确单词，完成后集体核对答案。(3分钟)
5.学生利用2a, 2b中的信息仿照2c 的形式编练新的对话，并要求多组同学表演对话。(5分钟)
A：What did you do on your vacation?
B：I visited my cousins.I think thatwe ate five meals a day!I've put on five pounds.
A：I guess the food was delicious，right?
(A)1.She asked ________I was a teacher.
A.if B.when C.that D.where
(C)2.He said ________ hewas doing his homework.
A.if B.when C.that D.where
(B)3.The boy likes eatingmeat and never exercises，and he ________ two pounds every month.
A.puts down B.putson C.puts up D.putsoff
(C)4.He enjoys ________his summer holidays with his cousin in Qingdao.
A.spend B.spendsC.spending D.tospend
Step 4 完成教材2d的任务
1)When will Clara go toChiang Mai?
2)What does Ben want toknow about the Water Festival in Chiang Mai?
3)What do people do onthe Thai New Year?
I wonder if it issimilar to the Water Festival of the Dai people in Yunnan Province.
We should help eachother.
Good luck to you!
Step 5 问题探究
1.Reviewtheexpressions and sentences in Section B 1.
Let Ssintroducethehistory of basketball.
Ⅱ. Lead in
1. AskSswhichinvention they like best.
Ssthinkabout their favorite inventions.
2. Let someSstalkabout their favorite inventions.
1. Ask Sswhatthingsthey don’tlike to do.
e.g. Problem: quicklytaking notes inclass.
2. Discussingroupand think of an invention that could help you.
e.g. Newinvention: a special pen
What it is usedfor： taking notes quickly in class
3. Ssdiscussingtheproblems and try to make their own notes.
4. Let someSsreadtheir notes to the class.
Work on 3b:
1. Tell Ss towriteadescription of your new invention.
2. Thefollowingsentencestructure may help you.
① Ithink … is a very useful invention.
② … was invented by…
③ … was invented in…
④ Itwas used for…它被用来……
⑤… is made of………是由……(材料)制成的
Ⅴ. Self Check
1. Read thewordsinthe box and make sure they know the meaning of each word.
2. Readthepassageand try to fill in the blanks with the proper word.
3. Readthepassageagain. Check if the forms of the words are correct.
3. Let someSsreadtheir answers. Correct the mistakes.
Work on Self Check2
1. Tell Sstorewritethe sentences using the passive voice.
3. Ssworkbythemselves and try to rewrite the sentences.
4. Checktheanswerswith the class.
Work on Self Check3
Findoutinformationabout an invention you would like to know more about andwritesentencesbelow.
If time isenough,dosome more exercises on big screen.
1.Duringtheafternoon, there was a _______ (suddenly) heavy fall of snow.
2. Ithinkthetelephone _____________ (invent) before the car.
3.The__________(Canada) song Alouette(百灵鸟) is a fun songabout a bird.
4.They____________(invite) to take part in the May Day celebrations in Beijing.
5.The___________(popular) of private cars is changing the people’slifestyle.
6. Whenthebill____________ (bring) to him, he was such surprised.
7. Theygavetheirlives for their country and were honored as ________ (hero).
8.We___________(divide) into eight groups by our teacher last week.
look upto,bymistake, daily activities, It is said, all of a sudden, fall into, at theOlympics.
Review themainphrases and sentences.
Ask some Sstodescribe how to make a Chinese clay piece.
First, the pieces are carefully shaped by handfrom a very special kind of clayand then allowed to air-dry.
Second, after drying, they are fired at a veryhigh heat.
At last, they are polished and painted.
Talk aboutsomespecial things that your city is famous for.
A: What’syour city famous for?
B: Our cityis famous for making lanterns.
A: Really!What are they made of?
B: They’remade of bamboo, silk or paper.
A: What theycan do?
B: They werefirst used for lighting in theold days. Today, they are used at festivals andother celebrations.
A: Why arethey special?
B: Chinesepeople love lanterns very muchbecause they’re symbols of good luck and family reunion(团圆).
1. Work on 3a.
What aresomespecial things that your town/ city is famous for? These can be food,artworkor any other products. Discuss them with a partner and take notes.
2. Work on 3b.
Write aparagraphabout the product. Use your notes in 3a.
1. Use thefollowingexpressions to help you:
My town/cityisfamous for…
…is famous in my town/ city.
…is / are made of/ from/ with/ by/ in…
…is / are used for…
…is / are known for…
…is / are special because…
3. Ss try towritedown their answers in the blanks.
4. Walk aroundtheclass give any help Ss may need.
Lanterns havebeenaround for about 1800 years. They were first used for lighting in the olddays.Today, they are used at festivals and other celebrations. Chinese peoplelove lanternsvery much because they’re symbols of good luck andfamily reunion.
From SpringFestivalto Lantern Festival, lanterns are hung up everywhere. Lanterns wereusually madeof bamboo and paper in the old days. Now they are made of manykinds ofmaterials, such as steel, silk, cloth, plastic and so on. They aremade allround China. Lanterns are made in the shape of different animals,vegetables,fruits and many other things.
Ⅴ. Self Check
Work on SelfCheck1.
1. List somethingsyou use every day. Write down what they are made of/from and where theyweremade?
2. Let Ssdiscusswith their partners. Try to fill in the blanks.
If necessary, Sscanreview the things in Section A and B.
Work on SelfCheck2.
1. Tell Ss tomaketrue sentences with the information in Self check 1.
2. Give Ssoneexample:
My pencil is madeofwood and it was made in Shanghai.
Ss try to maketheirown sentences.
3. Exchangetheirsentences and check if there’s any mistake.
Work on SelfCheck3.
Make sure Ssknowwhat they should do.
T: Completethesentences using the correct forms of the words in brackets.
Ⅰ. Complete the sentences.
Leather ______________ the skin of animals.
The small town__________ _____ for its handicraft products.
The leaves forteaplants are picked by hand and then _____ ____ for _________.
___________________ you do, you must do it with great efforts.
The ___________kitefestival ____ ______ in Weifang every year.
________ ____thenews report, it snowed heavily in New York last night.
The table____________ _______ a plastic table clothes.
Careless_________causes many ________ ___________ .
Keys: 1. ismade of2. is famous for3. aresent, processing
4. No matterwhat5. international, is held6.According to
7. iscovered with8. driving, trafficaccidents
Ⅱ. Finish the sentences.
1. Inspring, we can see green ______ (leaf)and grass everywhere.
2. The Internetis______ (wide) used in most families in our country today.
3. English________(speak) by many people in the world.
4. The companyhopes____ (it) product will be successful on the European market.
5. My teacherdidwhat he could to make his class ______ (live).
6. If thetraffic_____ (be not) heavy, it’ll take us an hour to getthere.
7. They spentonepart of their holiday in _____ (French) and the other in England.
8. Bell is______(know) for inventing the telephone.
9. The Chineseuse_________ (chopstick) instead of knives and forks.
Keys: leaves,widely, is broken, its, lively,isn’t, France, known,chopsticks