1) 能掌握以下单词：crispy, salty,sour,by mistake, customer, theOlympics, Canadian, divide, divide…into,basket, popularity, look up to,hero,professional
① Potato chips were invented bymistake.
② Itis believed that thefirstbasketball game in history was played on December21, 1891.
③ Dr.Naismith divided the men inhisclass into two teams and taught them to playhis new game.
④ Atthe same time, they need tostopthe competing team from getting the ball intotheir own basket.
⑤ These stars encourage young peopletowork hard to achieve theirdreams.
Ⅰ. Warming up
1. Let Sswatchaninteresting picture.
2. Asksomequestionsabout them.
1. What didtheyeat?
S1: Ice cream.
2. What didthebigdog think of the ice-cream?
Well let’slookatsome other delicious food, please.
Work on 1a
1. Tell Ssthatthewords in the box describe how food can taste. Write them underthecorrectpictures. Some pictures have more than one word.
2. Ss workwiththeirpartners and try to write some proper words under the pictures.
3. Let someSsreadtheir answers. Try to remember the new words.
Work on 1b
1. Let someSsreadthe adjective words in the box. Make sure they all know the meaningofeachword.
2. Ssdiscusswiththeir partners. Try to write the name of a different food after eachword.
Work on 1c
1. TellSstheconversation is about how the potato chips were invented. The storyisveryinteresting.
2. First, letoneSsread the sentences in 1c. Make sure they know the meaning of eachsentence.
1. Potatochipswere invented by mistake.
2. Theywereinventedin 1863.
3.Thecustomerthought the potatoes were not thin enough.
4.Thecustomer said they were not saltyenough.
5. Georgewantedtomake the customer happy.
6. Thecustomwashappy in the end.
3. Play therecordingforthe Ss. Listen for the first time. Play the recording again andjudge TorF.
Keys: T,F,T, F, F, T
4. Listenandanswerthe questions.
3. Whatdidthe custom order at the restaurant?
4. Whatdidthe custom think of the potatochips George cooked at first?
5. HowdidGeorgecook the potatoes then?
Work on 1d
1. Let Ssreadthearticle in 1d first. Tell Ss to listen again and fill in the blankswiththeright words.
2. Playtherecordingagain for the Ss to listen and write the words.
TheHistoryof Potato Chips
Do youknowhowpotato chips were invented? Potato chips ____________ by a cookcalledGeorgeCrum. They were invented in ____.
George Crumcutthepotatoes really, really ____ and then cooked them for a long timeuntiltheywere _____. Finally he put lots of salt on them so they were ____.
Keys:wereinvented, 1853, thin, crispy,really salty
Ⅳ. Pair work
1. Workinpairs.Make a conversation about the invention of potato chips. Usetheinformation in1c and 1d.
2. Ask somepairstoact out their conversation in front of the class.
Show somepicturesofplaying basketball. Ask Ss some questions about basketball games.Discussthesport with your partner and share your ideas with the class.
T: Doyoulikebasketball? (What’s your favorite sport?)
S1: Sure. Ilikeitvery much.
T: Doyouwatchbasketball games?
S2: Yes. Iliketowatch the NBA and CBA.
T: Do youknowthehistory of basketball game?
Tell Ss toreadthepassage quickly. And find the main idea of each paragraph.
Keys: 1.Themainhistory of basketball.
2. Howthebasketballwas invented by James.
3. Thepopularityofbasketball around the world.
1. T: Now let’sreadthemind map in 2c. Try to understand the meaning of the map.
Ask Sstocomplete the mind map with theinformation in the passage.
Changingtheinformationyou read into a mind map may help you remember it more easily.
2. Ssreadthepassage carefully and try to fill in the mind map with theproperwords.
firstgame on ________________
becameOlympic event in ______ in the year______.
mostfamous games: _____
populargames in China: _____
playedinside on a hard _____.
get_______ into other team’s ______.
playedby __________________ people.
3. Checktheanswerswith the class.
4. Tell Sstoworkhard and add something to the mind map.
EncourageSsto try their best.
Work on 2d
1. Now let’sworkon2d. First read the questions below. Then try to read the passage againandfindthe answers to the questions.
2. Ss readthepassageagain and try to find the answers to the questions.
1.Whoinventedbasketball and how is it played?
2. When wasthefirstbasketball game in history played?
3. WhyweretheBerlin Olympics important for basketball?
4. Whataretheprofessional basketball groups in America and China?
3. Let someSsreadtheir answers and correct their mistakes.
Ⅶ. Language points
1. Potatochipswereinvented by mistake.
e.g.Somebodytook the my umbrella bymistake. 有人错拿了我的伞。
I pickedupyour bag by mistake. 我错拿了你的包。
2.Dr.Naismithdivided the men in his class into two teams…
divide v. 分开;分散
e.g. Shedividedtheorange into quarters and each ate a piece.
3. Today,thepopularityof basketball has risenaround the world, with many youngpeople dreamingof becoming famous players.
1)today adv. 修饰整个句子，表示当前的一段时间，“如今;当今”。
e.g. Today,onlyafew kinds of these beautiful animals still live on the earth.
2) with与在意义上有主谓关系的复合结构many youngpeopledreaming of…构成短语，用作状语。
4. Basketballhasnotonly become a popular sport to play, but it has also become a popularsporttowatch.
not only…, but also… 不但……而且…… 若连接两个成分作主语，谓语动词与靠近的主语保持一致。
e.g. Notonlythe students but also theirteacher is enjoying the film.
5. Thenumberofforeign players, including Chinese players, in the NBA has increased.
1) number表示数量。由于是单数形式，谓语动词需要与之相配，为has increased。这种主语和谓语在数上的匹配称作“主谓一致”。当主语为复数概念是，谓语动词用复数形式与之匹配;当主语为单数概念时，谓语动词则用单数形式。
e.g. Peopletherearevery friendly. people为复数概念。
The UnitedNationsisan international organization that tries to find peaceful solutionstoworldproblems. the United Nations是一个组织，为单数概念。
2) the number of…“……的数量;……的数目”。作主语时，谓语动词应用单数形式。
a number of…“若干的，一些”，修饰可数名词。作主语时，谓语动词应用复数形式。
e.g. Thenumberofpeople killed in the accident hasn’t been announced yet.
A numberofpeople are unhappy with thisdecision.
6. Manyyoungpeoplelook up to these basketball heroes and want to become like them.
e.g.Theartist is looked up to for hislandscape paintings.
lookback 回头看; 回顾
lookinto 朝......看去; 调查
look on 旁观，观望
look up 查阅; 抬头看
Work on 2e
1. Ask Sswhattheythink of famous basketball players. Make a list of good anddifficultthingsabout being a basketball player.
2. Ss workingroups.Discuss them with their partners and make a list.
3. Letsomegroupsread their lists.
Write ashortpassageabout the development of basketball.
1) 能掌握以下单词：fool, costume,embarrassed, costume party, announce,spaghetti, hoax, sell out, discovery,lady, cancel, officer, believable,disappear, embarrassing
Ⅰ. Warming- up and revision
1. Daily greeting.
A. Why wereyoulate?
B. My bikebrokedown halfway.
C. I usually gettoschool on time.
D. Have youeverbeen late for school?
E. He said Ishouldn’tstay up so late at night.
F. I rushed tothebus shop without breakfast.
G. By I got totheschool, the class had been on 15 minutes.
A: Can I askyousome questions, Lisa?
A: (1) _________
B: Yes, I have.Butonly once last term.
A: (2) _________
B: I stayedupwatching the football match the evening before, so I overslept thenextmorning.
A: What did youdoafter you got up?
B: (3) _________Butunfortunately, by the time I got there, the bus had already left.
A: Poor guy!Andthen?
B: So Istartedwalking. Luckily, my uncle drove by and gave me a ride.
A: But you didn’tmakeit in the end, did you?
B: No, I didn’t.(4)_________
A: What didyourteacher say?
B: (5) _________
A: Yes, he isright.Thanks for your answering.
Keys: 1—5D A F GE
Ⅱ. Lead in
1. Finish 1a.Putthese words in the correct columns in the chart. Some words can go in morethanone column.
go off call
show up realize
tired stay up
2. Tell Ss nounsareprobably about people, things, places. Verbs are about action words.Descriptionwords are probably adjectives.
3. Work on 1a.
4. Share theanswerswith others in class.
5. Ask Ssmakesentences with the words in 1a.
Keys: fool costume changeclock
foolinvitegooffgetdressedshow up realizechange
Fill in theblankswith the correct forms of the words or phrases.
rushrealize inviteshow upstay up
1. Iwas waiting for the school bus but itdidn’t come. Then I ________it was Saturday.
2. Iwoke up late this morning. I had to really______ to get to school on time.
3. There’sa good TV show tonight but it’s at1:00 am. I don’t want to _________ that late.
4. Sally _______ me to her birthday party. It’sat her house onSaturday.
5. Doyou know where John is? He was going tomeet me earlier but he didn’t_________.
1. realized2.rush3. stay up4. invited5. show up
III. Work inpairs.
1b Tell yourpartnersomething that happened to you recently. Use two or more words in 1a.
Last Friday,myfriend invited me to his birthday party…..
Ask thestudentswhat they know about April Fool’s Day.
What did you doonLast April Fool’s Day?
2008年，BBC摄制组在南极附近拍摄了自然历史系列《进化的奇迹》(Miracles of Evolution)。里面讲述了阿德利企鹅飞翔的故事。这个飞翔企鹅的视频成了互联网上观看最多的视频之一。解说员特瑞•琼斯(Terry Jones)解释说，这些企鹅
Work on 1c:
1. 1c Dave, NickandJoe are talking about April Fool’s Day. Listen and writeeach person’s nameunder the correct picture.
a: No nameb:Joe c:Nickd:Dave .
2. Listen tothetape for the second time and finish 1d.
1d Listen again.Whosays each of the phrases below? Write D for Dave, N for Nick and J for Joe.
1) ______ acostumeparty
2) ______ myalarmwent off
3) ______ stayedupall night
4) ______ wastired
5) ______ wasreallyembarrassed
6) ______ theotherkids showed up
Keys: D N J J D N
VI. Group work
Work on 1e.
1e Tell AprilFool’sDay stories in your group. Use the information in 1c and 1d.
e.g. A:Whathappened to Dave on April Fool’s Day?
B: Well, afriendinvited him to a costume party, ….
Let some groupmakea conversation before the class.
VII. Work in pairs.
Work on 2a.
2a Have youeverplayed jokes on others, especially on Aril Fool’sDay? Have you ever beenfooled by others? Tell your story to your partner.
Ⅷ. Lead in
Show somepicturesof April Fool’s Day.
1. Work on 2b.
Read thepassagequickly. Match the paragraphs with the main idea.
1. Work on 2c.LetSs read the passage carefully, and answer these questions.
1) Why didthesupermarkets run out of spaghetti one April Fool’sDay?
2) What did theTVshow say the special water could do?
3) Why did theTVstar’sjoke have a bad ending?
4) When didOrsonWells tell people about aliens from Mars landing on the earth?
5) Why did somanypeople believe Orson Wells?
6) Which ofthesestories is the most believable? Which is the least believable?
7) Would youbefooled by any of these stories?
1) Areporterannounced that there would be no more spaghetti as spaghetti farmers inItalyhad stopped growing spaghetti.
2) It was saidthatthe special water would help people lose weight.
3) He lost bothhisgirlfriend and his show.
4) It was inOctober1938.
5) Orson Wellesmadeit sound so real that hundreds of people believed the story.
6) I think thestoryof a famous movie star is the most believable. The story of aliens fromMars isthe least believable. Because the movie star is living with people.People neversee any aliens on the earth.
2. Work on 2d.Fillin the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs on brackets.
2d Fill in theblankswith the correct forms of the verbs in brackets.
1) Afterthespaghetti story __________(appear) in the news, everyone _______
2) By thetimepeople ________ (find out) the story was not true, all the spaghetti
in thesupermarkets _______________ (disappear).
3) By the timetheday ______ (end), more than 10,000 people _________ (call) the TV stationtoask about the special water.
4) By the timetheshow _____ (end), the TV star ________ (lose) his girl friend.
5) By thetimepolice officers ____ (tell) the country that the story was a hoax,manypeople____________ (run away) from their homes.
Keys: appeared rushed
found out haddisappeared
toldhad run away
Work on 2e.
Tell yourfunnystory from 2a to the class. The class will vote for:
Ⅸ. Language points
1. Explain thenewwords in this period:
e.g. Peoplealwaysthink I'm a fool, and I dare say they're right.
e.g. He wasfooledby his friend on April Fool’s Day.
2.embarrassedadj. 局促不安的;为难的;尴尬的;窘迫的 ,
e.g. He looked abitembarrassed. 他看起来有点尴尬。
e.g. That wasanembarrassing situation for me. 那种情形让我难堪。
3. sell out 卖完;售完;出售
e.g. The nextdaythe bookshops sold out. 第二天书店就卖断了货。
4. discovery n. 发现，发觉;(剧情的)发展;被发现的事物;
e.g. He knowsthathe had made a real discovery.
5. marryv. “嫁，娶，结婚”
e.g. Henrydidn’t marryuntil he wasover fifty.亨利直到过了50岁才结婚。
⑴ marry sb. 表示“嫁给某人”、“娶了某人”或“和某人结婚”
⑵ get/be married to sb.
e.g. John isgoingto marry Jane. 约翰要和简结婚了。
6. The otherkidsshowed up.
show up 露面，到场;(使)看得见;
e.g. We waiteduntilfive o'clock, but he did not show up.
7. Many AprilFool’sjokes may end up being not very funny.
end up (doingsth.)(以…)结束;最终成为;最后处于
e.g. Every timeshetried to argue with her husband, she ended up crying her eyes out. 每回她试着和她丈夫争辩，她总是以流泪结束。
end up sth. 表示“结束某事”。
e.g. Thescientistended up his speech at last. 那个科学家最后结束了演讲。
end up withsth. (以…)结束
e.g. Thestudentsbegan with speaking English, but ended up with speaking Chinese.
The reporterhasjust _________________.
Theparty______________ a dance.
They did muchwork,but they ________________ nothing.
Keys: ended uphisreportended up withended up getting
Review thePastperfect tense.
2.重点短语：spoken English，reading speed，make mistakes
I can't pronounce someof the words.
I don't know how to increasemy reading speed.
I often make mistakes ingrammar.
—I don't have a partner to practiceEnglish with.
—Maybe you should join an English club.
Step 1 情景导入
Teacher：Do you have any problems learningEnglish?
Teacher：Can you talk about your problems?
Student1：I can't remember the new words.
Student2：I read very slowly.
Step 2 完成教材1a-1b的任务
1.If you are more careful，you will make fewer mistakes(mistake).
2.It's very difficult topronounce(pronunciation) the new words.
3.It's easy for us to understandspoken(speak) English.
4.I read very slowly.Howcan I increase(increase) my reading speed(speed)?
Step 3 完成教材1c-1e的任务
A：I don't have a partner to practiceEnglish with.
B：Maybe you should join an English club.
(B)1.Why don't you ________an English language club to practice English?
A.take part B.join C.join in D.attend
(B)2.一I don't have a partner ________.
一Maybe you should join a study group.
A.to practice English B.to practice English with
C.practicing English D.practicing English with
(D)3.I don't know how ______across the river.
A.swam B.swims C.swimming D.toswim
Step 4 问题探究
1.It's very difficult forus ________(pronunciation) the words.
答案应该为to pronounce，本题中含有句型：It's+adj. for sb. to do sth..pronunciation为名词，所以要用它的动词pronounce，因此本题的正确答案为to pronounce。
( )2.Did you make a mistake ________again?
A.spell B.inspell C.in spelling
答案选择C，make mistakes 意为“犯错，出错”，常与介词in连用，又因为in为介词，所以后面的动词要用现在分词形式，答案为C。
1) 能掌握以下单词：international,competitor, its, form, clay, balloon,scissors, lively,fairy, heat,polish,complete
① They are made of bamboo and coveredwithpaper.
② According to Chinese history, skylanternswere first used by Zhuge Kongming.
③ They are seen as bright symbolsofhappiness and good wishes.
④ After drying, they are fired at averyhigh heat.
Step I. Revision
1. Daily greeting.
2. Review. 主动语态变被动语态的方法
Computers areusedto search information.
The story isoften repeated by the teacher.
The cats arecarefully looked after by Bill.
English isn’toften spoken by us at home.
1. Present thenewwords on the big screen and learn the new words together.
clay n. 黏土;陶土 balloon n. 气球
scissors n. 剪刀fairytale 童话故事
paper cutting 剪纸 celebration n.庆典;庆祝活动
e.g. The kilogramisthe international standard of weight.
compete (动词)+ or → competitor (名词)
e.g. We cancompete with the best teams.
Each competitorshould wear a number.
e.g. Jogging isahealthy form of exercise.
e.g. My petdog likes catching biscuits inits mouth.
e.g. Mary isalovely young woman with imagination.
e.g. These arenotjust historical points.
heat n.热;高温v. 加热;变热
e.g. Heat thewater,otherwise it will freeze. (动词)
The heat fromthefire will soon dry your coat. (名词)
polish v. 磨光;修改;润色
e.g. Let’spolishthe silver before the guests arrive.
Would you polishupthe article a bit?
complete v. 完成
complete sth. 完成某事
e.g. They madeeveryeffort to complete the task.
They havejustcompleted building the bridge.
2. Ss read andtryto remember the new words.
Step III. Lead-in
1. T: Play avideoof the Weifang Kite Festival
2. Asksomequestions about it.
1. Do you knowwhatfestival is it?
It’sWei FangInternational Kite Festival.
2. Do youlikeflying kites?
What kind ofkitesdo you have?
Let some Sstalkabout it.
Step IV. Listing
Work on 1a
1. Do you knowhowto fly a kite? What are kites made of? Write down some materials used inmakingkites.
2. Let Ssdiscussabout it. Then write down their answers.
3. Check theanswerstogether.
bamboo,steel,paper, clothes, cord, knife, scissors and so on.
Work on 1b:
1. Tell Ss tolistento a conversation between Laura and Zheng Yun and circle the correctanswers.
2. Playtherecording for the Ss. Ss just listen for the first time. Play therecordingagain and circle the correct answers.
Work on 1c:
1. Let Ss readthesentences in 1c first. Tell Ss to listen again and write L for Laura or ZforZheng Yun.
2. Playtherecording again for the Ss to listen and write the words.
3. Ss listen totherecording carefully and try to write down their answers.
3. Check theanswerswith the class.
Work on 1d
Listen againandfill in the blanks with what you hear.
Ss listen and trytowrite down their answers:
Check theanswerswith the Ss.
1. Work inpairs.Role-play a conversation between Laura and Zheng Yun using theinformation in1b - 1d.
2. Let two Ss makeaconversation as a model:
A: Where did yougoon vacation?
B: I went toaninternational kite festival.
A: Thatsoundsinteresting. What did you see there?
B: I sawmanydifferent kinds of kites at the festival.
A: Were thekitesnice?
B: Yes, theywerebeautiful. They were made of different things like silk or paper. Somewerepainted with colorful drawings.
A: Sounds likeyoureally enjoyed it. I never thought that something as simple as kiteflyingcould be so exciting.
B: Yes, itwasreally fun to see which kite could fly the highest.
A: I think I wanttolearn to fly a kite, too.
3. See whichgroupsis the best.
Step VII. Talking
1. Show somepicturesof the paper cutting on the big screen. Tell Ss they are Chinese papercuttings.It’sone of the Chinese traditional arts.
T: Do you knowfolkor traditional arts? Now discuss with your partner.
2. Ask some Sssaywhat they know about the folk or traditional arts.
Tell Ssthefollowing is about three kinds of Chinese traditional arts.
1. Read thepassageand complete the chart below.
Traditionalart form Materials used
Work on 2c:
1. T: Now let’sreadthe passage again and answers the questions.
2. Let Ss readthequestions first and make sure they know the meaning of each question.
3. Ss readthepassage and answer their questions.
3. Check theanswerswith the class.
Work on 2d:
1. Let onestudentread the phrases in the box and translate them into Chinese.
2. Ss readthesentences and complete the sentences using the correct forms of the phrasesinthe box.
3. Check theanswerswith the Ss.
send out;rise into; turns, into; put on;such as; covered with
1. These usuallytryto show the things that are important in life, such as love, beauty andfamily.
such as和for example都有“例如”的意思，但是它们的用法有所不同。
★ such as常用来列举同类人或事物中的多个例子。
e.g. I likeanimals,such as dogs, bears and pandas.
★ for example一般只以同类人或事物中的“一个”为例。
e.g. He haseverbeen to many countries, for example, Australia.
2. The mostcommonthings, from paper to clay to bamboo, are turned into
1) turn…into…表示“把……变成……;使……变成……”，而turn into表示“转变;变成”等意思。
e.g. Can you turnanegg into a flower?
The sunnymorningturned into a rainy day.
2) objectsofbeauty 在此为“精美植物;精美物品”的意思。其中object指具体、实际的“物品;东西”。
e.g. Look,there’sa strange object in thesky!
3. AccordingtoChinese history, sky lanterns were first used by Zhuge Kongming.
according to 根据，按照; 据……所说
e.g. Accordingtothe radio, it will rain tomorrow.
4. The piecesarecarefully shaped by hand from a very special kind of clay and then allowedtoair-dry.
Just take a lookatthis lovely clay piece. Doesn’t this boy look real!
Did you readthatpiece in today’s newspaper?
2) air-dry 是由air和dry复合而成的一个合成动词，意为“晾干”，类似的词还有blow-dry吹干。
5. It takesseveralweeks to complete everything.
It takes (sb.)sometime to do sth. 是英语中的常用句型，意为“花费(某人)多长时间做某事”。其中it是形式主语，动词不定式(短语)是真正的主语。
e.g. It tookJackthree hours to make the model plane.
Step X. Group work
Work on 2e
1. Now let’sworkon 2e. First read the questions below. Then try to discuss the questionsinyour group.
Which art formdoyou think is the easiest? Which is the most difficult?Why?
Which art formwouldyou like to learn? Why?
2. Let some Ssreadtheir answers.
1. Read thepassageagain after school.
2. Try to writeashort introduction on how to make a Chinese clay piece.